Aldi Grocery - The Truth About Aldi

I posted this in another review, however I thought that this should be placed in its own topic and expanded upon!

I worked for them as a manager for a year, and in several stores as I was a floating manager from florida to nc and back!

95% of the opening managers DO NOT rotate the produce in the morning, they throw fresh on top, so more often than not there is rotten produce under the fresh produce.

You ever see those stickers $1 $2 off meat? If its put over the date the meat is dated and they are trying to sell dated meat (trust me I was there and I know how angry district managers get at the store manager for throwing out meat)

Freezer and cooler loads when they come in do not stay in the cooler and freezer! More often than not what happens is the loads come in 3-4 pallets, the pallets that are not being worked are pulled into the back room YES THE BACKROOM where there is no NO refrigeration at all, I have seen several stores working a freezer load for 1-3 hours with the freezer pallets sitting in the back room, same thing with the cooler! Why does this happen? Aldi cuts costs everywhere and instead of giving you a walkin you can work in they give you this skinny little room where you can't work each of the pallets!

Aldi does not give their employees proper breaks either, in the year or so I was there I NEVER ONCE took a 30 min lunch break paid or unpaid, yet they instruct their employees to punch a time for break so they don't get sued!

Aldi also does not rotate floor stock properly, for example In florida (st pete store) I went to cover some vacations, and found 6 cases of cereal which were outdated, among other things on the shelves that were dated and placed for sale!

If the store is not to grand opening standards at the end of the night EVERYONE is expected to stay no matter how late after your shift it is and get it fixed! Then the next day they ream the cashiers/managers for staying late because aldi refuses to give more than 1-2 cashiers and a manager in a store that does 2-5 thousand dollars an hour...

I could go on and on and on, needless to say after working there and seeing the things (including several instances of vermin in the back room where you would get yelled at for calling the bug guy) I will never EVER shop there, yes the prices are low, but you do not see what goes on in the back rooms, especially here in florida!

As for the cashiers, they are treated like garbage! They have to meet a certain ring speed (which is why they throw the groceries) or they get fired. If their drawer is off slightly FIRED, if they are more than 10 min late to work FIRED, The cashiers are lucky if they are smokers and their manager is a smoker because in an 8-10 hour shift they may get one break for a smoke, if you get anymore than that you are really lucky.

The floors of the coolers and freezers are never cleaned, I have seen SEVERAL stores in Florida with dried milk (from where it leaked) that upon going back to the store 2 weeks later and after telling management there it is still there. The only major time that they do any major cleaning is when one of the big wigs are coming, other than that you are lucky if you get a scrubber through that place at night.

There have been several times in my bouncing from store to store that they are selling dated bread and when calling out the manager who was there about this, they state "our dm is psycho I can't throw out that bread I have to sell it"

The dates are rarely if ever checked on many items and on many of my shifts I would find dated items in the cooler (milk, sour cream, cheese, lunch meats etc...) and upon taking them out to throw them away got yelled at for creating inventory problems.

As for pay, yes they do pay you a lot and there are good benefits, however you can rarely use them since you are working 40-70 hours a week if you are the manager. If you are salaried, your life is Aldi, if your stores sales arent up enough for the month, they force you to send cashiers home and work the cashier shifts even if you haven't had a day off in 2 weeks. When we opened here I did not have a day off for a month straight!

As for any of you wanting to get in touch with aldi, good luck, a DIRECTOR OF STORE OPERATIONS has stated "we don't have phone numbers published because we aren't going to pay someone to sit on the phone to listen to people ***** about things that we do wrong, if they really need to get a hold of us they can write a letter, until then its not that important" This is the mentality about customers at aldi.

If the levels of the canned goods or other items are really low DO NOT BUY THEM as they are likely close to going out of date and the store manager isn't ordering new because new stock goes directly on top of old in the dry grocery section. They have monthly rotations and spot freezer checklists but THOSE NEVER GET FOLLOWED!

Now yes the quality of the food is good for the most part, however there are so many things wrong with the operations and not taking care of items which have gone bad that I will never shop there again, speaking about things that go bad, it was not uncommon for the produce/meat that was dated or spoiled to sit in the back room in a buggy (yes a buggy that you use in the store) rotting for days! Sneak a walk into your local Aldi back room here in florida if you don't believe me, I guarantee you will never shop there again.

As for cashiers, they are also almost forbidden to have conversations with customers as this kills their productivity, if a customer asks something they are trained to be short, curt, and to the point to get the customer out of their line and move along to the next customer. They are TRAINED to throw the items into the carts like that, and if someone gets mad they call the manager and the manager is TRAINED to say whatever to the customer to get them out of the store.

All in all the aldi up north are great (NY, PA etc) but here in Florida, I wouldnt shop one if you gave me a $50 dollar gift card!

Good luck and happy shopping at publix or hannaford!

More Review Details

Helpful? 120 Yes 120 383 No 383
Had the same issue 70 Yes 70
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Nov 07 #1059833

I also work at aldis here in Titusville Florida and there is a few things I can say. I've never been to any other store so I can't speak for them but as for our store we MAKE SURE TO rotate our product correctly. Our store manager walks around and will get very upset with you if he sees not doing it that is #2 on our lists of important things being next to customer service of course. Also we check our meats and bread multiple times a day! For example if a meat is dates 11/04 we can't seek it after 11/03. On 11/03 we would put a mark down sticker on it and if it didn't get sold by close we'd throw it away OUTSIDE! And as for anything that is dated, it gets thrown away for the most part. At our store we also have a donation spot where all of our bread that we can't sell but is still good and our products that we cant sell because the boxes or something is damaged go and every tuesday and thursday a food bank or a charity or a church comes and picks up everything and they go to people in need which i think is awesome in itself!!! Our managers And DM want things fine RIGHHHTT And the firsssttt time! As for bugs every place has a few this is Florida for goodness sake but err have a bug guy who comes out biweekly and sprays EVERYTHING. I can understand where your frustrated because I would bee too if my store was run like this I would cuss every last person out and MAKE them do it right. But there are obviously some stores out there that DO still follow guidelines and procedures.... Show more

1 1 Reply

Nov 04 #1058446

I recently resigned at aldi. I was a shift manager i worked there for 5 years. I can state that most of the statements in this review are true. It is an awful company to work for. They have no consideration or respect for their employees or cutomers. Granted tgey do pay good, but basically you are signing your life to them. They try to make you feel bad when your shift ends and they try to keep you there up to 4 hours after your shift. And if you don't you will get harrassed,get your hours cut, or retaliated on. The reason why the cashiers look miserable is because we come in at 5am and at 9am we open and get put on the register and we don't get our breaks until almost the end of our shift. There were times we would work our 8 to 10 hour shift without a break and when you're about to clock out they make you go back and punch for a 30 minute break and stay at work even after your shift was over just to cover their *** so the company doesn't get sued. I hope somebody reports theses *** and they shut down. Im glad i got out of there. Granted i'm still without a job its a tough market out there, but atleast i have my dignity and my sanity.

Oct 17 #1050015 Saint Louis, Missouri

thank you for that report from now on i will lok at the dates and let them know this is not right

1 0 Reply

Oct 04 #1042951

I am curious to know if Aldi is selling second rate produce, treating it in some form to appear fresh. I have made numerous purchases of produce that appear; by touch and sight, to be fresh. Within 48 hours I have rotten veg leakage in the basket, on the counter top, on the floor, fruit flies etc. I grab a hold of something and my fingers slip through it. My sealed packs of mushrooms are a mold culture for a science experiment, Broccoli is grey, grapes are fermented for wine produce, the list goes on.
Is it a climate control / transport issue? I do not know!
I continue to shop there. As a whole; Aldi is a great store with many attributes. Price point, selection and European products sets it above all others.

1 0 Reply

Aug 18 #1020908

Yep, I currently work at an Aldi in Texas and it is everything you have described. Its almost as if I wrote this article. Every single thing you stated happens at my store. I've been regularly looking for another job.

3 0 Reply

Aug 12 #1018820

This is true... I work for aldi in Illinois

3 1 Reply

Aug 05 #1016032

Agreed up in to the part where you say we are TRAINED TO THROW GROCERIES. A LIE AT BEST. I have worked for Aldi for 4 years and we have always been told to NEVER throw but work fast pace and PLAFE GENTLY.

0 1 Reply

Jun 06 #991985 Stamford, Connecticut

I am from England and was delighted to find an Aldi in USA.
We find the food there is very,very good value for money and the toilets are clean, plenty of choice for Glutin Free products.
I am longing to see them come closer to Stamford.
Staff are excellent band helpful.
Three Cheers for ALDI @ MILFORD CT

May 07 #981372

Wow, remind me never to go to Florida! Been working at various Aldi's in Pennsylvania, and have NEVER had these issues. Rude and ignorant customers, yes, all the time. Blatant disregard to regulations and customer safety, no! Something isn't right...

Apr 21 #974950

This isn't how my experience at Aldis is at all. This is one of the best jobs I've ever had, pay is great, benefits are great, staff is great. And we never try to hide anything about or dates or meat. The sticker isn't placed over the date at all, it's just when the meat is getting close to the sell by date we would rather sell it than throw it away. I buy it all the time. And the food that we don't sell that is still edible is donated to hungry families. The charity comes and picks out what they want.

7 0 Reply

Mar 22 #962102 Chicago, Illinois

Oh well so sorry for unsitisfied people eith Aldi stores. All i can say is that i have been working at Aldi for 3 years and it is the best job i have had. I only work 35 hrs per week, i can request my days off as i need them ,the best team work ever. YES! it is a multitask work wich is not for everybody, I love multitask job not like a robot doing the same thing for 8 hrs..

Mar 20 #961481 Cumming, Georgia

I have purchased what I thought was fresh produce, only to find it rotten when I got it home. Bags of lemons, limes and oranges. It's happened several times. I'm going to shop elsewhere. It's the store located in ***, GA. Not worth the savings!!

Feb 21 #949211

Aldi's was the worst job I have had so far. When I got hired i did not even get the proper training. The manager that was suppose to train me did not even train me. What she did was have a random employee train me for two days for four hours and made me go live. After scanning for only 2 days they wanted me to be an expert at scanning and scan at the speed of someone that's been there for two years. Another thing was that me and this guy were hired at the same time but they would not give me a key or drawer for a month and a half. I couldn't open the break room to go in for my break and I couldn't even have my own drawer. So most of the time I came in not knowing what to really do. They also make me the main cashier but also a closer and have someone work as the secondary cashier and leave before we close the store. Most of the time I couldn't even leave at the time I am schedule to leave because I am so behind on cleaning. I felt so discriminated there.

6 2 Reply

Jan 12 #929845 Suffolk, England

I worked in an Aldi store as a Store Assistant, and I was fired for a number of things. I was there doing 3 months of training, but was fired in the second month for being too slow. When I was on check out, they wanted me to scan items at a robotic speed (over 2,000 items per hour. I barely managed to get past 900) I was not given any proper training on the tills, and went live straight away despite being told I would have a few test trolleys beforehand. I Had to unload pallets onto the shop floor correctly in 15 minutes, no matter how big or heavy they were. Sometimes they gave me stock assistant hours without asking me, which started at 4am and usually ended at 10-11am. Baring in mind this was my first role in a superstore, they expected me to instantly be fast at 4 in the morning and do everything perfectly, and I was yelled at if I didn't do everything right. I had to memorize over 400 PLU codes in the space of 2 weeks of being there, and if I got any wrong they acted like their inventory loss was all my fault. Whenever I asked other store assistants for help, for example when I couldn't find something on the pick list, they were not allowed to help me. Also, I was never given a name badge (everyone else had one, even the people who started after I did) and was not trained on any of the equipment except the baler. Yes, the pay was good, and I was happy there, but nothing I did was good enough for them. It is a very difficult and demanding job.

4 3 Reply
Senior citizen

Dec 30, 2014 #923173 Delray Beach, Florida

Because the cashier has to work at a certain pace, and it is a problem for him or her, they are prone to making mistakes. I have been overcharged twice, and find it absolutely ridiculous that it is impossible to phone the store reporting the error or to speak with anyone in corporate office. Unfortunately, I did not check my receipt before leaving the store.
I WOULD SUGGEST THAT ALL CUSTOMERS CHECK THEIR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING THE STORE. With their cashier protocol, assume that dozens of mistakes are made daily.

Former ALDI Employee

Jan 20 #933466 Delray Beach, Florida

Hey I worked at the Delray Beach store! I wouldn't be surprised if I messed up one of your receipts. Its never something we do intentionally its just that we have to be fast otherwise we get yelled at. And even when we are fast, we get yelled at for not being faster. That was the worse job ive ever had in my entire life. I will never work for that Nazi company ever again.

7 3 Reply

Oct 20 #1051131

To the person who said they have worked at Aldi for 30 and loves it. First of all, I know someone like that and she gets ALL the peachy 9-7 on Saturday and Sunday. Gets ALL morning shifts. And these other posts are dead on. Horrible hours, working conditions, etc. I look EVERY DAY for another job. And the person who called it a Nazi company lol. Right on. Aldi ruins your life.

0 0 Reply

Dec 02, 2014 #909682 Findlay, Ohio

I work for aldi, I understand some things u are saying it is ALOT of work! But my store is nothing like that as far as rotation and quality. my dm would flip *** if we sold dated items or had a lot of rotten produce. I'm sorry your stores were like that I'm glad mine isn't

Nov 16, 2014 #901094 New Holland, Pennsylvania

I have never had a bad experience at any Aldi. I love them. Fresh produce, great selection and clean facilities. Sounds like your managers weren't doing their jobs! Why not help out the company Nd report up what you were experiencing!?!?

3 1 Reply

Nov 13, 2014 #899736

Worked with the company for 30+ years,
These situations may exist in poorly managed stores, with weak managers,
however they don't last long and are replaced with competent managers
that are not overwhelmed with physical labor. ALDI works hard to supply
the customer with a top quality, fresh product at a reasonable price, and to
say otherwise is simply rubbish.

7 6 Reply

1-20 of 133 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.