Aldi Grocery - The Truth About Aldi

I posted this in another review, however I thought that this should be placed in its own topic and expanded upon!

I worked for them as a manager for a year, and in several stores as I was a floating manager from florida to nc and back!

95% of the opening managers DO NOT rotate the produce in the morning, they throw fresh on top, so more often than not there is rotten produce under the fresh produce.

You ever see those stickers $1 $2 off meat? If its put over the date the meat is dated and they are trying to sell dated meat (trust me I was there and I know how angry district managers get at the store manager for throwing out meat)

Freezer and cooler loads when they come in do not stay in the cooler and freezer! More often than not what happens is the loads come in 3-4 pallets, the pallets that are not being worked are pulled into the back room YES THE BACKROOM where there is no NO refrigeration at all, I have seen several stores working a freezer load for 1-3 hours with the freezer pallets sitting in the back room, same thing with the cooler! Why does this happen? Aldi cuts costs everywhere and instead of giving you a walkin you can work in they give you this skinny little room where you can't work each of the pallets!

Aldi does not give their employees proper breaks either, in the year or so I was there I NEVER ONCE took a 30 min lunch break paid or unpaid, yet they instruct their employees to punch a time for break so they don't get sued!

Aldi also does not rotate floor stock properly, for example In florida (st pete store) I went to cover some vacations, and found 6 cases of cereal which were outdated, among other things on the shelves that were dated and placed for sale!

If the store is not to grand opening standards at the end of the night EVERYONE is expected to stay no matter how late after your shift it is and get it fixed! Then the next day they ream the cashiers/managers for staying late because aldi refuses to give more than 1-2 cashiers and a manager in a store that does 2-5 thousand dollars an hour...

I could go on and on and on, needless to say after working there and seeing the things (including several instances of vermin in the back room where you would get yelled at for calling the bug guy) I will never EVER shop there, yes the prices are low, but you do not see what goes on in the back rooms, especially here in florida!

As for the cashiers, they are treated like garbage! They have to meet a certain ring speed (which is why they throw the groceries) or they get fired. If their drawer is off slightly FIRED, if they are more than 10 min late to work FIRED, The cashiers are lucky if they are smokers and their manager is a smoker because in an 8-10 hour shift they may get one break for a smoke, if you get anymore than that you are really lucky.

The floors of the coolers and freezers are never cleaned, I have seen SEVERAL stores in Florida with dried milk (from where it leaked) that upon going back to the store 2 weeks later and after telling management there it is still there. The only major time that they do any major cleaning is when one of the big wigs are coming, other than that you are lucky if you get a scrubber through that place at night.

There have been several times in my bouncing from store to store that they are selling dated bread and when calling out the manager who was there about this, they state "our dm is psycho I can't throw out that bread I have to sell it"

The dates are rarely if ever checked on many items and on many of my shifts I would find dated items in the cooler (milk, sour cream, cheese, lunch meats etc...) and upon taking them out to throw them away got yelled at for creating inventory problems.

As for pay, yes they do pay you a lot and there are good benefits, however you can rarely use them since you are working 40-70 hours a week if you are the manager. If you are salaried, your life is Aldi, if your stores sales arent up enough for the month, they force you to send cashiers home and work the cashier shifts even if you haven't had a day off in 2 weeks. When we opened here I did not have a day off for a month straight!

As for any of you wanting to get in touch with aldi, good luck, a DIRECTOR OF STORE OPERATIONS has stated "we don't have phone numbers published because we aren't going to pay someone to sit on the phone to listen to people ***** about things that we do wrong, if they really need to get a hold of us they can write a letter, until then its not that important" This is the mentality about customers at aldi.

If the levels of the canned goods or other items are really low DO NOT BUY THEM as they are likely close to going out of date and the store manager isn't ordering new because new stock goes directly on top of old in the dry grocery section. They have monthly rotations and spot freezer checklists but THOSE NEVER GET FOLLOWED!

Now yes the quality of the food is good for the most part, however there are so many things wrong with the operations and not taking care of items which have gone bad that I will never shop there again, speaking about things that go bad, it was not uncommon for the produce/meat that was dated or spoiled to sit in the back room in a buggy (yes a buggy that you use in the store) rotting for days! Sneak a walk into your local Aldi back room here in florida if you don't believe me, I guarantee you will never shop there again.

As for cashiers, they are also almost forbidden to have conversations with customers as this kills their productivity, if a customer asks something they are trained to be short, curt, and to the point to get the customer out of their line and move along to the next customer. They are TRAINED to throw the items into the carts like that, and if someone gets mad they call the manager and the manager is TRAINED to say whatever to the customer to get them out of the store.

All in all the aldi up north are great (NY, PA etc) but here in Florida, I wouldnt shop one if you gave me a $50 dollar gift card!

Good luck and happy shopping at publix or hannaford!

118cabd5 review #162744
375 110 Helpful?
Had the same issue52 Comments116
Had an experience with Aldi Grocery?  Submit review about this company
Is it your business?
Respond to your customers as verified company representative.
Apply for free plan

Mar 22 Chicago, Illinois

Oh well so sorry for unsitisfied people eith Aldi stores. All i can say is that i have been working at Aldi for 3 years and it is the best job i have had. I only work 35 hrs per week, i can request my days off as i need them ,the best team work ever. YES! it is a multitask work wich is not for everybody, I love multitask job not like a robot doing the same thing for 8 hrs..

mushyproduce

Mar 20 Cumming, Georgia

I have purchased what I thought was fresh produce, only to find it rotten when I got it home. Bags of lemons, limes and oranges. It's happened several times. I'm going to shop elsewhere. It's the store located in ***, GA. Not worth the savings!!

Anonymous2

Feb 21

Aldi's was the worst job I have had so far. When I got hired i did not even get the proper training. The manager that was suppose to train me did not even train me. What she did was have a random employee train me for two days for four hours and made me go live. After scanning for only 2 days they wanted me to be an expert at scanning and scan at the speed of someone that's been there for two years. Another thing was that me and this guy were hired at the same time but they would not give me a key or drawer for a month and a half. I couldn't open the break room to go in for my break and I couldn't even have my own drawer. So most of the time I came in not knowing what to really do. They also make me the main cashier but also a closer and have someone work as the secondary cashier and leave before we close the store. Most of the time I couldn't even leave at the time I am schedule to leave because I am so behind on cleaning. I felt so discriminated there.

Jan 12 Suffolk, England

I worked in an Aldi store as a Store Assistant, and I was fired for a number of things. I was there doing 3 months of training, but was fired in the second month for being too slow. When I was on check out, they wanted me to scan items at a robotic speed (over 2,000 items per hour. I barely managed to get past 900) I was not given any proper training on the tills, and went live straight away despite being told I would have a few test trolleys beforehand. I Had to unload pallets onto the shop floor correctly in 15 minutes, no matter how big or heavy they were. Sometimes they gave me stock assistant hours without asking me, which started at 4am and usually ended at 10-11am. Baring in mind this was my first role in a superstore, they expected me to instantly be fast at 4 in the morning and do everything perfectly, and I was yelled at if I didn't do everything right. I had to memorize over 400 PLU codes in the space of 2 weeks of being there, and if I got any wrong they acted like their inventory loss was all my fault. Whenever I asked other store assistants for help, for example when I couldn't find something on the pick list, they were not allowed to help me. Also, I was never given a name badge (everyone else had one, even the people who started after I did) and was not trained on any of the equipment except the baler. Yes, the pay was good, and I was happy there, but nothing I did was good enough for them. It is a very difficult and demanding job.

Senior citizen

Dec 30, 2014 Delray Beach, Florida

Because the cashier has to work at a certain pace, and it is a problem for him or her, they are prone to making mistakes. I have been overcharged twice, and find it absolutely ridiculous that it is impossible to phone the store reporting the error or to speak with anyone in corporate office. Unfortunately, I did not check my receipt before leaving the store.
I WOULD SUGGEST THAT ALL CUSTOMERS CHECK THEIR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING THE STORE. With their cashier protocol, assume that dozens of mistakes are made daily.

Former ALDI Employee

Jan 20 Delray Beach, Florida

Hey I worked at the Delray Beach store! I wouldn't be surprised if I messed up one of your receipts. Its never something we do intentionally its just that we have to be fast otherwise we get yelled at. And even when we are fast, we get yelled at for not being faster. That was the worse job ive ever had in my entire life. I will never work for that Nazi company ever again.

Dec 02, 2014 Findlay, Ohio

I work for aldi, I understand some things u are saying it is ALOT of work! But my store is nothing like that as far as rotation and quality. my dm would flip *** if we sold dated items or had a lot of rotten produce. I'm sorry your stores were like that I'm glad mine isn't

3 0 Reply

Nov 16, 2014 New Holland, Pennsylvania

I have never had a bad experience at any Aldi. I love them. Fresh produce, great selection and clean facilities. Sounds like your managers weren't doing their jobs! Why not help out the company Nd report up what you were experiencing!?!?

Nov 13, 2014

Worked with the company for 30+ years,
These situations may exist in poorly managed stores, with weak managers,
however they don't last long and are replaced with competent managers
that are not overwhelmed with physical labor. ALDI works hard to supply
the customer with a top quality, fresh product at a reasonable price, and to
say otherwise is simply rubbish.

5 2 Reply
dontcallmelazy

Nov 11, 2014

Look, Aldi runs like a well oiled machine when standards that are laid out for you to a tee ( seriously go check your breakroom and office) are met. If you are throwing the load and it takes you longer than 30 minutes per pallet, you are now behind schedule. You will have to ask your manager to cover back up while you either throw freezer or take a break . This now puts manager behind ,those coolers and meats don't throw themselves. Your break is ultimately your responsibility they hired an adult for a reason .As for freshness and quality , do me a favor go to Walmart and go to the restroom and take a big whiff . What do you smell? ***. Now go buy meat and produce from a place who's employees cant operate a bottle of lysol and a mop. At Aldi , at least my district we bust our *** to uphold Aldi standards. We don't place the stickers indicating discounts over the date, that's illegal. We put them over the barcode letting the cashier know to enter the code manually. It is the exact same as buying 'Manager's Specials' @ any other store. If you buy it and expect it to stay fresh for a week or more that is your fault not mine or my companies. If you all wonder why the employees are so 'rude' to you it might be because the way y'all write about them leads me to believe you go in acting like you're doing us a solid by shopping with us then demanding we stop our policies to treat you like the other stores you shop at. I'm also convinced none of y'all have ever been grocery... Show more

6 2 Reply
PerfectStorm

Nov 08, 2014

I go to aldis every month. Where I live.....the people are nice. They treat my geoceries with care. I for one do not buy my meats from there any ways. I like fresh meat. But I have never had any issues with my food

4 0 Reply
Aldi Reject

Oct 07, 2014

Aldi seems to only hire young people right out of college for their District Manager program. This is age discrimination pure and simple. I have applied to this program numerous times and have never been contacted, even though I have tons of management experience combined with experience in operations, distribution, retail management, managing territories, responsible for sales of over $24 million, operational budgets of $17+ million, P&L responsibility, etc. I guess a 22 year old is vastly superior in experience to me......NOT!! Oh well, Aldi will gets theirs in the end!!

3 3 Reply
Frankly

Dec 21, 2014

Corporations now a days are looking for people with little to no experience in certain fields, so that they can train them fresh from the start. What they find in people with too much experience, is that they are already set in their ways of doing things and may be reluctant to follow company guidelines due to strong personal opinions they have gained from previous jobs.
Don't take things personally.

Mar 22 Cleveland, Ohio

Isn't the assumption that experienced managers are "set in ther ways" an example of age discrimination?

Sep 30, 2014

The manager at the florence alabama store is an ***!

AldiSM

Sep 06, 2014

I was actually going to mention how entirely opposite my experience is up here in PA, and you even mentioned a little bitty at the very end. I'd still like to offer some insight from the north.
First off, I'm really sorry for your experience! I am a store manager, and my impression on your experience is shame, shame on the upper management! By no means it's any of those things the will of Aldi's! They put so much stress on customer service, FIFO ( first in, first out), disposing of dated goods, and of course.... work morale! It is imperative or employees are happy, healthy, satisfied and their families are just as important. If anything, I would not hesitate to discipline for poor customer service, or stocking over top of older product, or worse, leaving rotten food. Our district's stores are pest and trash-free. Parking lot, aisles, pallets, coolers, floors and even bathrooms are to remain as clean and sanitary as humanly possible. As the Store Manager, no work is beneath me! I could not in good conscience delegate a task that I was capable to doing myself, given that staff and shift supervisors weren't already engaged with other projects or customers. There is a hotline to call, even though you are a former employee. Sharing your experience with HR could change the lives of a mass of southern employees! You should at least call. Maybe even your old DM, or RVP if your DM was a player in the unethical operations.

10 0 Reply
PerfectStorm

Nov 08, 2014

I live in pennyslvania.......and I love the aldi stores around me. I go every month to get mt can goods and dry goods. The people are always soooooo nice. And the stores are very clean. Thank you all so much. I honestly don't know how my family would make it with out y'all

3 0 Reply
CURRENT EMPLOYEE

Aug 31, 2014 Williamsport, Pennsylvania

I'm sorry, and I never really post on things like this, but as a current ALDI employee, I have to dispute much of what is said here. Some points, very minor, were true, but most of it could just have to do with that certain store's staff, because I can tell you, where I work the people who work there don't let half of these bad things happen. We are currently short staffed, but that doesn't mean we still don't try and meet the standards that our DM sets for us, and they are GOOD standards.
Our DM comes in once a week and checks nearly all the dates in the store to make sure they are properly stocked, and if not, she has one of the employees fix the major ones.
We are NOT allowed to cover the dates on the meat packages, because it can be illegal in some areas, and it is CLEARLY a health concern. If the meat does not get sold by the throw-away date, we toss it regardless of if it's one case or four. This is why we are supposed to rotate the meat boxed in the meat locker every day.
We are to sweep out the meat, cooler, and freezer walk-ins after EACH load, and that's nearly every other day, if not every day. Every three days we mop out the meat locker and the cooler.
The only pallets that are left out of their lockers when throwing truck are the freezer pallets, and that isn't even that long. It would maybe be 1-2 hours, but compare it to shoppers who sometimes visit many places on their shopping day and leave their freezer items in the car for that same amount of
... Show more

7 0 Reply
Special BUY

Aug 20, 2014

Most of the bad thing mentioned are true, the DM are rookies that just finish college and ones they give them a few stores they try to get respect intimidating everybody (screaming at you), respect is earned with hard work not screaming. True, pallets sit on the back for long periods of time, poor MT have to go to cashier functions if store gets busy, I have seen an MT on the register because he is running the store with only one employee or store associate for a couple of hours to cut hours, while he is there for a while he has a pallet of meat just sitting in the floor, no refrigeration. Ask any Deem tech (company that does refrigeration), the refrigeration system is the cheapest on the market, they is only have 1 system that runs the whole store, and is not a surprise that one morning you come in and everything is melted, because of the only 1 central system that refrigerate. What does the DM and PM tell you, let it cold and sell it, if it’s not good they will return it and get the "DOUBLE WARRANTY".... I can keep writing but for what. These people are bullies. (STORE MANAGER’S ARE PAID 50 HR AND THE WORK SOMETIMES 90 MAYBE MORE, TO CUT HOURS THEY MAKE THEM COME IN TO WORK FROM OPEN TO CLOSE) (YOU ALWAYS GET SEVERAL CALLS ON YOUR DAYS OFF, NEVER FOR A COMPLEMENT) AND BELIVE ME I HAVE MANAGE SEVERAL STORES IN FLORIDA, THEY HAVE A SECURE LINE THAT YOU CAN CALL IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, SECURE, ANONYMOUS, I ALMOST GOT FIRED BECAUSE I REPORTED AN ISSUE)( YOU CAN NOT HAVE A LIFE... Show more

2 4 Reply

Aug 10, 2014

As a current Aldi employee of 12+ years at a store level, cashier (or as we are now called "sales associates") and one time shift manager who chose to step back down, I feel that I HAVE to comment on this original post. While there are a few 'truths' to the original posters thoughts, most of what was written sounds like it is coming from a very disgruntled former employee. Perhaps I am wrong. Maybe the stores this person worked at were that poorly ran. However, I have a hard time even believing most of what I read because the first few 'points' struck out at me. Very rarely does a STORE MANAGER rotate between different stores. It sounds like this person was either an MIT (manager in training that must have had some issues to have been moved around to so many different stores) or just a shift manager. Ok, with that out of the way it needs to be said that the stores in our area do NOT operate like this. Outdated products are NEVER intentionally sold. Especially meat and bread. I can say that there are some stores that do not properly rotate their produce, but they shouldn't be allowed to do that for very long or their District managers will step in when customer complaints start flooding the internet and the customer service numbers (which, btw can be found easily on the Aldi website or from the Aldi Facebook page). It is true that each store does not have a published number because we do not have office personal in each store to answer the phones. It has... Show more

14 9 Reply

1-20 of 116 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.