Aldi Grocery - The Truth About Aldi

I posted this in another review, however I thought that this should be placed in its own topic and expanded upon!

I worked for them as a manager for a year, and in several stores as I was a floating manager from florida to nc and back!

95% of the opening managers DO NOT rotate the produce in the morning, they throw fresh on top, so more often than not there is rotten produce under the fresh produce.

You ever see those stickers $1 $2 off meat? If its put over the date the meat is dated and they are trying to sell dated meat (trust me I was there and I know how angry district managers get at the store manager for throwing out meat)

Freezer and cooler loads when they come in do not stay in the cooler and freezer! More often than not what happens is the loads come in 3-4 pallets, the pallets that are not being worked are pulled into the back room YES THE BACKROOM where there is no NO refrigeration at all, I have seen several stores working a freezer load for 1-3 hours with the freezer pallets sitting in the back room, same thing with the cooler! Why does this happen? Aldi cuts costs everywhere and instead of giving you a walkin you can work in they give you this skinny little room where you can't work each of the pallets!

Aldi does not give their employees proper breaks either, in the year or so I was there I NEVER ONCE took a 30 min lunch break paid or unpaid, yet they instruct their employees to punch a time for break so they don't get sued!

Aldi also does not rotate floor stock properly, for example In florida (st pete store) I went to cover some vacations, and found 6 cases of cereal which were outdated, among other things on the shelves that were dated and placed for sale!

If the store is not to grand opening standards at the end of the night EVERYONE is expected to stay no matter how late after your shift it is and get it fixed! Then the next day they ream the cashiers/managers for staying late because aldi refuses to give more than 1-2 cashiers and a manager in a store that does 2-5 thousand dollars an hour...

I could go on and on and on, needless to say after working there and seeing the things (including several instances of vermin in the back room where you would get yelled at for calling the bug guy) I will never EVER shop there, yes the prices are low, but you do not see what goes on in the back rooms, especially here in florida!

As for the cashiers, they are treated like garbage! They have to meet a certain ring speed (which is why they throw the groceries) or they get fired. If their drawer is off slightly FIRED, if they are more than 10 min late to work FIRED, The cashiers are lucky if they are smokers and their manager is a smoker because in an 8-10 hour shift they may get one break for a smoke, if you get anymore than that you are really lucky.

The floors of the coolers and freezers are never cleaned, I have seen SEVERAL stores in Florida with dried milk (from where it leaked) that upon going back to the store 2 weeks later and after telling management there it is still there. The only major time that they do any major cleaning is when one of the big wigs are coming, other than that you are lucky if you get a scrubber through that place at night.

There have been several times in my bouncing from store to store that they are selling dated bread and when calling out the manager who was there about this, they state "our dm is psycho I can't throw out that bread I have to sell it"

The dates are rarely if ever checked on many items and on many of my shifts I would find dated items in the cooler (milk, sour cream, cheese, lunch meats etc...) and upon taking them out to throw them away got yelled at for creating inventory problems.

As for pay, yes they do pay you a lot and there are good benefits, however you can rarely use them since you are working 40-70 hours a week if you are the manager. If you are salaried, your life is Aldi, if your stores sales arent up enough for the month, they force you to send cashiers home and work the cashier shifts even if you haven't had a day off in 2 weeks. When we opened here I did not have a day off for a month straight!

As for any of you wanting to get in touch with aldi, good luck, a DIRECTOR OF STORE OPERATIONS has stated "we don't have phone numbers published because we aren't going to pay someone to sit on the phone to listen to people ***** about things that we do wrong, if they really need to get a hold of us they can write a letter, until then its not that important" This is the mentality about customers at aldi.

If the levels of the canned goods or other items are really low DO NOT BUY THEM as they are likely close to going out of date and the store manager isn't ordering new because new stock goes directly on top of old in the dry grocery section. They have monthly rotations and spot freezer checklists but THOSE NEVER GET FOLLOWED!

Now yes the quality of the food is good for the most part, however there are so many things wrong with the operations and not taking care of items which have gone bad that I will never shop there again, speaking about things that go bad, it was not uncommon for the produce/meat that was dated or spoiled to sit in the back room in a buggy (yes a buggy that you use in the store) rotting for days! Sneak a walk into your local Aldi back room here in florida if you don't believe me, I guarantee you will never shop there again.

As for cashiers, they are also almost forbidden to have conversations with customers as this kills their productivity, if a customer asks something they are trained to be short, curt, and to the point to get the customer out of their line and move along to the next customer. They are TRAINED to throw the items into the carts like that, and if someone gets mad they call the manager and the manager is TRAINED to say whatever to the customer to get them out of the store.

All in all the aldi up north are great (NY, PA etc) but here in Florida, I wouldnt shop one if you gave me a $50 dollar gift card!

Good luck and happy shopping at publix or hannaford!

Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 123 Yes 123 387 No 387
Had the same issue 72 Yes 72
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Mar 11 #1125489

I agree. It's true. Dont forget to mention the modern day slavery. Their employees work off the clock to get the work done. To make the productivity.I wouldn't send my dollar at place for sure.

1 0 Reply

Feb 04 #1106363

Since u were a.. MANAGER.. there too..y did u let it get so bad!!!!??..if what u said is all true..then i feel u r at fault too. If the other managers were doing things wrong then its YOUR responsibility to not give up on the store and its employees and especially the customers and go a step higher and talk to the next higher up and the next and next UNTIL THINGS R CHANGED. So for all your bashing of other employees performances at Aldis trying to make it so ppl wont shop there, the faulty way things are handled there..if what u said is true..then it falls on u too..even more so then the rest because they trusted u to b a MANAGER and it sounds to me as tho YOU failed. :-(

3 7 Reply

Mar 17 #1129384

It sounds like you are a manager or even district manager of this store from the way you are defending it. Especially anonymously.

0 1 Reply

Feb 02 #1105183

Thanks for the info. I love in FL and will never shop there again.

0 1 Reply

Jan 25 #1100754

Yes everything you said was true your never good enough for aldi

5 1 Reply

Jan 15 #1095370

What I don't understand about this absolutely absurd rant is how you continue to say Aldi does this Aldi does that when you have not been to all aldi. I've worked in five different Aldi (to help other stores) NEVER I mean NEVER have I been in one that has even 1/4 of the problems that you listed. And if you were a manager that makes you just as disgusting as you believe the store was. It is your responsibility as well as the team in which you lead to make sure those things were not happening. And if your DM was psycho then you should have called the president. There is nxo reason any store should be like that. We have a million dollar store here and pa and we are always slammed with customers and never do we sell dated products. We rotate and check dates of meat, produce, bread , cooler items DAILY all other products monthly with notes to what may date soon. The fact that you allowed everyone (including your store manager and Dm) to work in those conditions you shouldn't have been a manager. And to say you'll never shop in "ALDI" B/c of how the store you were in is wrong. I know my store is very clean the scrubber gets ran throughout the day (if needed for big spills or messes) and EVERY single night. If you're trying to get back at Aldi for getting fired your doing it the wrong way. All of our customers and employed know the truth. This post really disgusts me.

6 6 Reply

Jan 07 #1090397

Your ranting and blaming language makes it sound like you got fired for not doing your work well, and you're determined to "get back at them". I've never been to an ALDI that didn't have good quality and service, or one where the employees didn't like their job. I myself am hoping to work there.
On a different note, why do people think they have a right to a smoke break? No, you don't have a right to feed your own personal addiction. It's the same reason we don't have Nutella or banana bread breaks.

11 4 Reply

Dec 17, 2015 #1080348

I work at an aldi in Minnesota and I can disagree with every statement you just made.

9 4 Reply

Dec 07, 2015 #1075321

I work for aldi and everything written in here is what my store focuses on doing everyday I don't know what kind of stores you worked at my my experience they do not cut corners!!

6 0 Reply

Dec 01, 2015 #1072344

Ok so I have been employed at ALDI for two years, and I can assure you that you worked at a *** store with a *** district management. I work in Kansas and I can say right now there isn't a store in my state that is what you just described. It's all about how you handle the situation and how intellectual you are as a person when it comes to leading cashiers and shift managers. If you were the store manager and your store was what you described, I'm not surprised you only worked there a year because you failed as a manager.

10 3 Reply

Nov 30, 2015 #1071717

It really depends on management because at my Aldi in Iowa all the stuff you just said would NEVER GO BY UNNOTICED OR ALLOWED! Don't knock the whole company for poor management in other states.

7 2 Reply

Nov 28, 2015 #1070772

I work for ALDI, and I am not treated like garbage. Sounds like you just have a grudge against the company. Good luck with that.

8 2 Reply

Nov 27, 2015 #1070457

I started working at an aldis on Nov.10. No one told me my first pay dat...dpes anyone have any info. One person said they don't hold back the first pay...and another said they don't remember

0 0 Reply

Nov 07, 2015 #1059833

I also work at aldis here in Titusville Florida and there is a few things I can say. I've never been to any other store so I can't speak for them but as for our store we MAKE SURE TO rotate our product correctly. Our store manager walks around and will get very upset with you if he sees not doing it that is #2 on our lists of important things being next to customer service of course. Also we check our meats and bread multiple times a day! For example if a meat is dates 11/04 we can't seek it after 11/03. On 11/03 we would put a mark down sticker on it and if it didn't get sold by close we'd throw it away OUTSIDE! And as for anything that is dated, it gets thrown away for the most part. At our store we also have a donation spot where all of our bread that we can't sell but is still good and our products that we cant sell because the boxes or something is damaged go and every tuesday and thursday a food bank or a charity or a church comes and picks up everything and they go to people in need which i think is awesome in itself!!! Our managers And DM want things fine RIGHHHTT And the firsssttt time! As for bugs every place has a few this is Florida for goodness sake but err have a bug guy who comes out biweekly and sprays EVERYTHING. I can understand where your frustrated because I would bee too if my store was run like this I would cuss every last person out and MAKE them do it right. But there are obviously some stores out there that DO still follow guidelines and procedures.... Show more

3 1 Reply

Nov 04, 2015 #1058446

I recently resigned at aldi. I was a shift manager i worked there for 5 years. I can state that most of the statements in this review are true. It is an awful company to work for. They have no consideration or respect for their employees or cutomers. Granted tgey do pay good, but basically you are signing your life to them. They try to make you feel bad when your shift ends and they try to keep you there up to 4 hours after your shift. And if you don't you will get harrassed,get your hours cut, or retaliated on. The reason why the cashiers look miserable is because we come in at 5am and at 9am we open and get put on the register and we don't get our breaks until almost the end of our shift. There were times we would work our 8 to 10 hour shift without a break and when you're about to clock out they make you go back and punch for a 30 minute break and stay at work even after your shift was over just to cover their *** so the company doesn't get sued. I hope somebody reports theses *** and they shut down. Im glad i got out of there. Granted i'm still without a job its a tough market out there, but atleast i have my dignity and my sanity.

10 0 Reply

Feb 26 #1118422

If they do in fact violate the meal break law you could have quit and still collected unemployment due to unsatisfactory work conditions. I did it. And instead of hoping someone reports them why don't you do it? Too many people hoping someone else will step up instead of stepping up themselves

1 0 Reply
rockey

Oct 17, 2015 #1050015 Saint Louis, Missouri

thank you for that report from now on i will lok at the dates and let them know this is not right

3 0 Reply

Oct 04, 2015 #1042951

I am curious to know if Aldi is selling second rate produce, treating it in some form to appear fresh. I have made numerous purchases of produce that appear; by touch and sight, to be fresh. Within 48 hours I have rotten veg leakage in the basket, on the counter top, on the floor, fruit flies etc. I grab a hold of something and my fingers slip through it. My sealed packs of mushrooms are a mold culture for a science experiment, Broccoli is grey, grapes are fermented for wine produce, the list goes on.
Is it a climate control / transport issue? I do not know!
I continue to shop there. As a whole; Aldi is a great store with many attributes. Price point, selection and European products sets it above all others.

3 1 Reply

Aug 18, 2015 #1020908

Yep, I currently work at an Aldi in Texas and it is everything you have described. Its almost as if I wrote this article. Every single thing you stated happens at my store. I've been regularly looking for another job.

9 0 Reply

Aug 12, 2015 #1018820

This is true... I work for aldi in Illinois

7 1 Reply

1-20 of 149 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Aldi Grocery. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Aldi Grocery.
Filing a new complaint about
×