Asheville, North Carolina
15.7K views

I have shopped Aldi in several states but mostly in Asheville, NC for 7 years. Last week I decided to return several non-food items that I haven't used.

These products are not carried on a regular basis. All were of good quality and a good value and in new condition with all packaging. Within the past few months Aldi has become very strict about having a receipt for ALL returns. Knowing this, I had dug up three different receipts for items purchased on three different occasions.

The store manager handled my return. She had a very bad attitude and humiliated me since I hadn't returned the items sooner. I explained I couldn't use them as expected and just wanted a refund. She read me the riot act and laboriously explained Aldi's 90 day return policy.

One item was recently purchased. A second came barely within the 90 days, which she reminded me of, and the third had been purchased 5 months ago. It was a kettlebell set. Since I have had multiple recent joint problems (shoulder, knee, neck and back) I decided I had better not use the kettlebells and have been under treatment of an orthopedic surgeon throughout this time period.

She flatly refused to give me a refund. I asked her if she thought it was worth losing a long-time customer over a lousy $25 (on an item fully resaleable.) She berated me in front of the store within earshot of several other employees and customers, insisting that "in six months you should have been able to decide whether you needed this." I explained my physical limitations were the cause of my not yet having used the kettlebells and also my reason for returning them. She was insistent that the policy is 90 days and stated there is a sign posted in the store detailing their policy (which I still have not seen.) Usually I don't do business with stores with poor return policies or those that have changed their policies to make them less customer friendly. I am a regular shopper at Aldi and all of the employees know me and recognize me.

I would estimate I have spent thousands of dollars in this particular store at Patton Ave in Asheville over the past few years. I asked for her district manager's name and phone number which she readily provided. I called the district manager, left a message and have never gotten any call back whatsoever for approximately a week. I will try to reach him again.

I would also like to express to him my dissatisfaction in being rudely treated whenever I return something to Aldi. They make it very inconvenient to return anything. My first experience with their apparently new receipt insistence policy was when I returned a leaking gallon of milk a few months ago and was very loudly and rudely asked "Do you have a receipt?" by an employee who has seen me in there dozens of times, even having checked my out on numerous occasion. I am anal about keeping my purchase receipts and was able to provide one on that occasion and others.

My 82 year-old step-father had a very similar experience when trying to return a heating pad a few months ago, when he had no receipt. This was a $5 item. He was refused a refund even though the item hadn't even been opened. I understand their insistent policy but I think it should be spelled out on the signs at the entrances of all Aldi stores, probably near the sign where shopping carts are dispensed.

This way customers and prospective customers can be fully informed in advance of their purchases, not later when they come to return something they are dissatisfied with for a refund. Aldi does offer a very good value for shoppers and is a Billion dollar company based in Germany. Its founder's family wealth rivals the Walton's of Walmart. I think this company could make an occasional exception to their strict returns policy on a per-case-basis.

It is merely a matter of good business judgement. This manager did a poor job and left me a very dissatisfied customer. Of course, I will give the district manager a chance to hear me out and make this right. As of now I have no idea if I will ever hear from him.

Meanwhile, I will think twice about stopping at Aldi or shopping there for anything that may possibly need to be returned. That is NOT good customer service and should be rectified.

Comments

@Anonymous

I'm an outsider, but I have an opinion as well, have any of you seen this 90-day policy. I've never seen it posted in the store , not that I would not be satisfied with a 90-day return policy but if it is not posted for customers to see how can you enforce it ?

@Anonymous

Most people (and ALL people with ANY common sense WHATSOEVER) would assume that in the absence of a sign, a store's policy is no more than 30 days. 90 is incredibly generous.

OP has no cause for complaint, and Aldi can enforce their policies without any notification whatsoever.

A sign is a courtesy to the customer - nothing more. In light of their generous 90 day policy, complaining about never having seen a sign disclaiming it is petty and poor behavior on your part.

#1196842

It's a good store. A policy is in place for a reason.

90 days seems fair.

I think you should stop complaining. You were in the wrong, period.

Oh boo hoo... You have an item for 6 months....

You CLEARLY know you're outside of the return policy yet expect special treatment..... You sound like a *** and Aldi won't miss you

@Anonymous

That happened one time when I was at "Adult Land" in Medford, Oregon. (It's across the street from world famous Harry & David's, & Jackson & Perkin's).

The owner, Gary Johnson was telling another patron the story about one time this dude came into the store with a video cassette that had become unwound and he asked Gary to refund his money. Gary asked the patron how long he had had the VCR movie and the dude answered "Six Months" and Gary said he told the dude "No!" and then asked him "What, was that your ONLY movie that you watched over and over again?" I had to laugh.

You tried to return something after their 90 day policy. You're the ***

You are delusional. Somehow you are entitled to break the rules because of your feelings that Aldi should make exceptions on a "case-by-case" basis?

Wrong. What you want is for everyone to kowtow to your every whim and when you don't get your way, you gripe and complain that, "It's not fair!" Requiring a receipt is standard procedure, not bad business. It's not Wal-Mart. And why are you even trying to return something after 5 months of not using it?

And along with that, you are miffed that the manager wouldn't honor the 5-month-old return??? Wow. Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, the world is not out to get you and that people and businesses don't have to bend over backwards for your every urge?

No. You only think about yourself.

Most stores have a three month return policy. You being a customer with them for seven years should know this.

Telling you no, and expecting you to follow the return policy is not the same as being rude. If you cannot follow simple rules, than yeah, you will be berated, especially if you keep arguing back. If your step father is getting old and senile because of his age than he should be living with someone. Your whole family seems to think they don't have to follow rules.

You won't be missed. Most retail stores work like this.

That is their company policy! Mgr was being decent if you showed up with several items on 3 different receipts.

Hope you didn't hold up a line of shoppers. I've been behind someone like you before! Took you up to 5mos to figure out you didn't need any of it??

Then they're stuck with your old stuff and no place to put it!! They are are a grocery not a retail store like Kohls.

Trying to return items you bought 5 months ago? seriously?

I agree , Bad policy at Auldi. We Should not shop there.....

I'm a store manager and if you came in with a 5 month old product I would not be able to help you either. 90 days is a generous return policy considering most policies are 30 days. Although she was standing behind her company's policies she could have been more professional about it.

If they allow exceptions for you, they have to allow exceptions for everyone. Stores have return policies for a reason.

Their policy sounds quite generous, in my opinion. FYI: part of the reason stores have return policies is because some customers insist on returning items way past what is an acceptable time period, like say 5 months.

I bought a hose nozzle for $3.99 and in the next few days the nozzles were reduced to $1.99. I asked if I could get the difference since the item was reduced.

The Aldi manager said "no". I asked if I could return the nozzle to get my $3.99 back and then buy one at $1.99. She said "Yes, but that would be "CHEATING".

Isn't that the same as giving a refund on something that was reduced in price? They lost another customer.

I would like to remind all ALDI shoppers that the generally liberal return policies of some stores are unreasonable in my opinion. 90 days is general.

We are spoiled in this country by the slogan "the customer is always right." ALDI has rotating offers and would not have use for a single heating pad long after their shipment of heating pads had been sold. I would also never return a leaking gallon of milk. If I don't notice the leak in the store, I would not assume that it leaked when I bought it. Let's be a little less demanding and more reasonable.

The store manager has policies to follow. And no-I am not working for ALDI.

After hearing the nastiness of these aldiemployees I'm going to take my return back on Monday and never step foot in and Aldie again.

@Lynn

Some random stranger on the internet has a bad experience and you are never going to shop there again? LMAO!

Why do you buy things if you plan on returning them. Maybe you should do your shopping online and you'll think twice about returning something due to the shipping cost.

And everyone requires a receipt for a return, how does that not make sense to you. Wooooow you are some kind of special.

I agree with every comment above, and would like to add that every customer complaint is taken very seriously at aldi. All complaints are directed to corporate then to the district manager of that employee.

They also keep record of how many each employee has. People like you are the only reason I disliked working for aldi. You simply have a sad life and nothing better to do so you waste time by *** up my life.

Not just mine most employees have had these kind of complaints against them. Therefore if the district manager didn't even bother to call you back he must agree with the rest of us that you are the stupidest person on the planet and your complaints are not valid.

Soo you really had an item for SIX months and thought you were going to return it for a full refund?? Where would you even get an idea like that?

That makes no sense, lady. Then, the fact that you came to this website, wrote a long paragraph about how "the manager was rude" because she wouldn't take your product "a few days outside 90" is even more ridiculous. 91 is past 90. You're upset you didn't get your way and that's fine.

For children. So grow up, get over yourself and get a life.

Aldi Grocery Reviews