Evansville, Indiana
4.1K views

I went for the first and last time to Aldi grocery store. I was shocked to find that you have to rent a shopping cart. Pay for Bags and Bag your own groceries.

I Did not see it posted anywhere that they did not take checks. Yet I asked before the cashier finished ringing my purchase as checks is all that I happened to have with me. ( Keep in Mind that the cashiers have a stool to sit on and all they do for you is ring up your purchase.) They said no it was cash or credit only. I said I was sorry but I could not make the purchase as I did not have either with me. The cashier then looked at me and said.... Then you need to get your stuff off my counter!

I was Flabbergasted I just looked at him and told him to have a nice day as I turned and walked out. I Will Not Be Back.

Product or Service Mentioned: Aldi Grocery Cashier.

Comments

you do not have to pay to use a shopping cart ,you put in a quarter and it will release the cart,when you are finished and put the cart back in the rack ,the coin will come out again ,it is so that you will return the cart up people ,the talk is ,that all the Plastic bags will be gone pretty soon anywaystomers,,,i have not shopped at Aldi's over here ,because i didnt knoe we had one ,but i will go there as soon as i am finished here with this writing , i will also pass the News on to my friends,i am happy we have Aldi in Austin ,,see you at Aldi's have a good day ,Be Blessed

I have wondered for a while now if Aldi management communicates to their cashiers, "People only shop here for the price value- manners can be considered an expense without return."

The cashiers almost never say, "Thank you" and usually hand the change with a "There you go," in a tone that suggests, "if you don't like it, shop somewhere else." And when I can, I do...

I have being shopping in my local Aldi store fo the past 6 years or so . I have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

However today I was there I went around filling up my trolly, I also had my green bags in the trolly, I lined up put my goods on the belt to be registered and when it cam to my turn I lined up trolly ready for the casher to throw the goods from the scan to the trolly, before she started I put my green bags on the counter on her right hand side, she felt my bags for stolen goods and started to register my goods . Within seconds an casher who was sitting behind her came up to her and whispered something into her ear, she immediately stopped and

felt my green bags again.

I straight away knew what he had whispered to her I took my bags and brought them to him and asked him to feel them/ check them but he refused and told me he was not talking to me. This left me feeling extremely upset.

Testing to see if this works

hollins1

ALDI'S SOUND ALOT LIKE SACK & SAVE.I HAVE NEVER BEEN IN THE STORE,BUT I HAVE HEARD ABOUT IT.I REFUSE TO PAY FOR ANYTHING EXCEPT WHAT I AM BUYING.SO THEREFORE I WILL NEVER SHOP AT ALDI'S.AS FAR AS SITTING DOWN TO WORK,TO ME THAT IS LAZY.IF THERE IS A PROBLEM AS TO WHY?YOU HAVE TO SIT.THEN MAYBE YOU ARE IN THE WRONG LINE OF WORK.I DID CUSTOMER SERVICE WORK FOR 25 YEAR'S.NEVER SIT ONCE.WHAT'S THE PROBLEM THAT YOU ALL HAVE TO SIT.OTHER STORE'S CLERK'S STAND AND WORK.BUT I GUESS YOU ARE,ARE TO GOOD TO STAND HUH.IF YOUR CART'S ARE IN SOMEONE ELSE'S YARD.HOW ARE YOU SAVING.BAD BUSINESS.WHAT I WAS TOLD IS YOU REALLY DO NOT SAVE ALOT ANYWAY,TO BE CHARGING PEOPLE FOR BAG'S-CART'S ETC.

@hollins1

How's your back? If you worked in customer service for 25 years, 40 hrs a week, and have to stand all that time, you're probably gonna need a cane if you don't already.

I'm going to guess you don't really do much moving or lifting anyway. you have never been in an Aldi and you have the audacity to judge someone else's job. Every employee there, is a huge part of that store.

The employees know that, the boys up top know that and the costumers see that (and most appreciate that.) So why do we sit? BECAUSE WE EARN IT.

We have had pretty good experiences with Aldi employees. I have asked a person who was putting out new items where I could find something, and they have brought the product to me.

I like the no checks, no bagging, no nonsense approach with the checkout line, its nice to not have to stand around while someone fools with their checkbook, ID, store loyalty card, and then wait around for a manager to approve something that doesn't go through.

(It's "through" folks, not "threw", ok? OK!!)

Firstly, I love working at Aldis!!

I can usually tell when the customer I'm waiting on is a first time shopper. I ask them if they've shopped here before, then I proceed to explain to them the buggy system and why, the payment system and why and the bagging system and why. All the answers are to save you money!

I have even paid for bags for new customers so they won't feel uncomfortable because they don't have bags. When I take the time, to explain this to them, they most always say thank you and I'll be back.

Customer service is the #1 priority at Aldi's.

We sit down for leverage on scanning your groceries. Imagine standing and scanning @40 items a minute! If customers will let us, we put the crushable items in the top of the buggy, the cans in the front end and the fruit and vegetables on top of the heavier items. In some cases customers don't load the lane to accomodate this, but we try our best to take special care of the groceries. Because in the end, if something is crushed or dented, it is a loss to the store. We also stock, and clean the store, so we are not just stitting all day. At least not at the store I work at.

The reason we don't take checks is...the cost of taking bad checks is what drives up the prices. That doesn't mean that everyone will write a bad one..but it doesn't take but one to mess it up for everyone.

The reason we don't take credit cards is because your bank charges a higher percentage of each purchase that drives prices up. They charge a smaller percent for debit card purchases. Writing checks slows down the line, which causes us to have to call up someone to other registers while you are gathering your check and id. This takes away from the job they are performing (stocking, etc). Also, digging for 98 cents to keep from breaking a dollar slows us down. Please think about this when you are ready to pay.

Please, Please have your form of payment (cash, debit card or EBT card) ready when you get to the register, this really saves time.

I hope you will try Aldi's and I hope you will have a good experience shopping there. :)

Some may wonder why there is a refundable quarter charge on each cart? Simple business.

I bet you return the cart and get the quarter back right? No kid in the lot to push carts = lower prices. Also I would wager to say you have never returned to your car at aldis to find a shopping cart slammed into it? Again cost savings because who do you try to blame and sue for monies?

You got it the store.

Aldis is smart by removing all these problems out of their bottom lines. Which = cheaper food for us.......

Get with the times Checks are outdated, Checks bounce no one wants your checks anymore. Soon they banking system will kill checks all together and then the rest of us wont have to wait while you fumble around to find a pen then to write the check then to fumble for an ID and last but not least for you to waste my time while you write it down in your precious registry!

As far as bags? Get with the times again most stores are going to recyclable bags or bring your own. Its for the enviroment. Save a tree type thing?

Never mind you are obviously a simple minded person who wants everything handed to you on a silver platter at discount prices then you pis* and moan that you have to pay with a updated form of payment. Sorry to the rest of the viewers here but man what a worthless consumer complaint.

Their are Aldi carts in front of our apt on Ridgeland Ave. We tried to find a number to call so they can get them but no number is available.

We have two Aldi carts in our parking lot and tried to call but can not find a # to call Aldis.

How rotten some people are, they expect everything, but do not have the manners to give anything

I know and seen first hand, how rude the employe is at this aldi's. There is a women about in her 40's that is competely miserable, not nice and complains all day about "she's going threw withdraw".

I know I will never go back there, just cause of her poor hygiene, rude being, and blaming her issues of the day on drugs. Really??? thats how aldi's likes to be looked at. I am not the only person that will not be back to that store, and will gladdy spend the extra buck to bring my business else where.

Where i will not pay for my bags, get rude looks, pay for my noisey beat up shopping cart, and will get service the way I like. (with a smile and not sweat saints, i would like feta cheese and not fromunder cheese.) thank you so very much for letting me vent about this horrible being and waste of tax payers time.

I should have added, anyone who uses plastic bags in this day and age are Luddites. Look at the landfills, full of plastic.

Not to mentions the chemicals used to manufacture them. Give up the plastic in all stores, please.

Inserting a coin into a cart is common in the northern hemisphere now. If you want to buy lower priced groceries this is one of the costs.

As is bagging your own purchases. On my first visit to an Aldi store (USA) last month I had a problem with the quality of an item. I e-mailed Customer Service and received a very prompt reply - by regular mail - with a full refund and an invite to get the same item free. I even heard from the company who supplied ALDI with the item.

I will retry the item this week. If you want to be served by a happy smiley faced employee - ANYWHERE - treat them with respect and smile yourself !!

seriously, aldi employees do not just "sit on their stool". They stock and clean the entire store, and at the same time they have to ring out all the customers.

Unfortunately you received poor service. In our store we would offer to hold the products for you so you could go get cash. Don't judge all aldi employees just because you had a bad experience at your store..and as far as bagging your own groceries it is a small price to pay considering you are receiving your groceries for an extremely discounted price. As for not taking checks, there is a sign outside the door clearly stating what forms of payment we take, but if you are confused next time just ask before loading up your cart.

People like you make our jobs harder. Don't be rude to us and expect good customer service in return.

I will go out of my way for customers, but if you are rude to me don't expect me to kiss your feet. If you don't like it, don't shop there, but please don't keep coming into the store and complaining about it every time.

The staff at the Streator store are very rude wil not go back, after they were rude to my 80 year old mother.

Oh, and you do not have to buy bags... you are more than encouraged to bring your own ecologically friendly and cost saving reusable bags into Aldis.

Aldi Grocery Reviews