Palm Harbor, Florida
30.5K views 163 comments

I posted this in another review, however I thought that this should be placed in its own topic and expanded upon!

I worked for them as a manager for a year, and in several stores as I was a floating manager from florida to nc and back!

95% of the opening managers DO NOT rotate the produce in the morning, they throw fresh on top, so more often than not there is rotten produce under the fresh produce.

You ever see those stickers $1 $2 off meat? If its put over the date the meat is dated and they are trying to sell dated meat (trust me I was there and I know how angry district managers get at the store manager for throwing out meat)

Freezer and cooler loads when they come in do not stay in the cooler and freezer! More often than not what happens is the loads come in 3-4 pallets, the pallets that are not being worked are pulled into the back room YES THE BACKROOM where there is no NO refrigeration at all, I have seen several stores working a freezer load for 1-3 hours with the freezer pallets sitting in the back room, same thing with the cooler! Why does this happen? Aldi cuts costs everywhere and instead of giving you a walkin you can work in they give you this skinny little room where you can't work each of the pallets!

Aldi does not give their employees proper breaks either, in the year or so I was there I NEVER ONCE took a 30 min lunch break paid or unpaid, yet they instruct their employees to punch a time for break so they don't get sued!

Aldi also does not rotate floor stock properly, for example In florida (st pete store) I went to cover some vacations, and found 6 cases of cereal which were outdated, among other things on the shelves that were dated and placed for sale!

If the store is not to grand opening standards at the end of the night EVERYONE is expected to stay no matter how late after your shift it is and get it fixed! Then the next day they ream the cashiers/managers for staying late because aldi refuses to give more than 1-2 cashiers and a manager in a store that does 2-5 thousand dollars an hour...

I could go on and on and on, needless to say after working there and seeing the things (including several instances of vermin in the back room where you would get yelled at for calling the bug guy) I will never EVER shop there, yes the prices are low, but you do not see what goes on in the back rooms, especially here in florida!

As for the cashiers, they are treated like garbage! They have to meet a certain ring speed (which is why they throw the groceries) or they get fired. If their drawer is off slightly FIRED, if they are more than 10 min late to work FIRED, The cashiers are lucky if they are smokers and their manager is a smoker because in an 8-10 hour shift they may get one break for a smoke, if you get anymore than that you are really lucky.

The floors of the coolers and freezers are never cleaned, I have seen SEVERAL stores in Florida with dried milk (from where it leaked) that upon going back to the store 2 weeks later and after telling management there it is still there. The only major time that they do any major cleaning is when one of the big wigs are coming, other than that you are lucky if you get a scrubber through that place at night.

There have been several times in my bouncing from store to store that they are selling dated bread and when calling out the manager who was there about this, they state "our dm is psycho I can't throw out that bread I have to sell it"

The dates are rarely if ever checked on many items and on many of my shifts I would find dated items in the cooler (milk, sour cream, cheese, lunch meats etc...) and upon taking them out to throw them away got yelled at for creating inventory problems.

As for pay, yes they do pay you a lot and there are good benefits, however you can rarely use them since you are working 40-70 hours a week if you are the manager. If you are salaried, your life is Aldi, if your stores sales arent up enough for the month, they force you to send cashiers home and work the cashier shifts even if you haven't had a day off in 2 weeks. When we opened here I did not have a day off for a month straight!

As for any of you wanting to get in touch with aldi, good luck, a DIRECTOR OF STORE OPERATIONS has stated "we don't have phone numbers published because we aren't going to pay someone to sit on the phone to listen to people ***** about things that we do wrong, if they really need to get a hold of us they can write a letter, until then its not that important" This is the mentality about customers at aldi.

If the levels of the canned goods or other items are really low DO NOT BUY THEM as they are likely close to going out of date and the store manager isn't ordering new because new stock goes directly on top of old in the dry grocery section. They have monthly rotations and spot freezer checklists but THOSE NEVER GET FOLLOWED!

Now yes the quality of the food is good for the most part, however there are so many things wrong with the operations and not taking care of items which have gone bad that I will never shop there again, speaking about things that go bad, it was not uncommon for the produce/meat that was dated or spoiled to sit in the back room in a buggy (yes a buggy that you use in the store) rotting for days! Sneak a walk into your local Aldi back room here in florida if you don't believe me, I guarantee you will never shop there again.

As for cashiers, they are also almost forbidden to have conversations with customers as this kills their productivity, if a customer asks something they are trained to be short, curt, and to the point to get the customer out of their line and move along to the next customer. They are TRAINED to throw the items into the carts like that, and if someone gets mad they call the manager and the manager is TRAINED to say whatever to the customer to get them out of the store.

All in all the aldi up north are great (NY, PA etc) but here in Florida, I wouldnt shop one if you gave me a $50 dollar gift card!

Good luck and happy shopping at publix or hannaford!

Review about: Poor Store.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Aldi Grocery?

Comments

Saukville, Wisconsin, United States #1248306

I totally agree with every word of this.They treat their employees like slaves.

Expect one person to do the job of 5. No matter the treatment, I loved my job due to the fast pace day and the pay. My coworkers were all amazing for the most part. I was just fired 3 days ago for not having a vehicle.

Said it wasn't business smart for them due to the fact that I couldn't come in at moments notice nor stay as long as they needed even tho you weren't told until 5 minutes before your scheduled time off. My vehicle broke down and I'm a single mom. There were multiple times I would walk to and from work , which was an hour and 20 minute walk. The district manager let me work my entire shift and 5 minutes after closing called me into the office where I was told that if I just resigned then she would promise to give me good referrals.

Why would I quit a job that I rocked at??? I said I would not resign and requested termination papers where she then slid a paper to me and fine, just sign and date here. I asked to read it and when she finally agreed , it was a paper for voluntary resignation.

When I said I refuse to sign this and requestEd a termination letter, she then stated she didn't have to legally give me anything and if I would just sign the resignation form that she would consider bringing me back as an employee in the future.Absolutely appalled by such low down dirty business practices.

#1219777

I work at an Aldi in Europe and even as a manager you would have been sacked in less than a week for doing any of those first several things you mentioned. I honestly didn't read any further because it doesn't even come close to working for them here

to Anonymous Pasig, Pampanga, Philippines #1316327

Come to the U.S. it's 100% accurate.

Sarver, Pennsylvania, United States #1206421

Have you guys ever worked in one of the where-houses.

It plain sucks.

When you have bad decisions from a manager system.It goes from bad to worse for the wrong people.

The Aldis where-house in PA sucks badly.The mangers are completely clue less.On how a system should work.

When they changed the system it went to He!!.

Most of the employee's there are annoyed with the changed and it's been over a little 3 months now.And they still hate the change.So way not change it back to the way it was.

to Anonymous Bouckville, New York, United States #1292210

Where- house IS SPELLED.

WAREHOUSE,

& your punctuation is atrocious.

& ...If u speak like you text its no wonder why YOU no longer work there...GET AN EDUCATION 1st....

I agree.It's true.

Dont forget to mention the modern day slavery.

Their employees work off the clock to get the work done.To make the productivity.I wouldn't send my dollar at place for sure.

Since u were a..MANAGER..

there too..y did u let it get so bad!!!!??..if what u said is all true..then i feel u r at fault too. If the other managers were doing things wrong then its YOUR responsibility to not give up on the store and its employees and especially the customers and go a step higher and talk to the next higher up and the next and next UNTIL THINGS R CHANGED.

So for all your bashing of other employees performances at Aldis trying to make it so ppl wont shop there, the faulty way things are handled there..if what u said is true..then it falls on u too..even more so then the rest because they trusted u to b a MANAGER and it sounds to me as tho YOU failed.:-(

to Anonymous #1129384

It sounds like you are a manager or even district manager of this store from the way you are defending it. Especially anonymously.

to Anonymous #1223045

The one defending this store or district doesn't even use proper language. Who kno tho. May jus be a robot talkin bout ***.

We have a Daryl
to Anonymous #1251182

From experience, managers are very territorial!'Floaters' (mainly managers that may come from a different store region/location just to temporarily fill in where needed as seen fit) are unapologetically unappreciated.

Store managers should all have the ALDI core principles at the forefront and use the set guidelines in place, but many of the managers are just simply set in their very own ways that District Managers have either allowed or molded them to be in. Thus, any 'outsiders'/outside help aka floaters are not as welcomed as one may think. For instance, if you are manager of morals and integrity but is sent to fill in at various locations where those managers don't share in sound judgements, then there is an issue from the beginning. As much as you want to or actually report what you think is mismanagement may in fact be coming from the upper management.

Without going throuh the hassle of taking extreme measures, not to say that may even work, but at the end of the day you will still need to make sure your store is thriving as expected. Floaters ideals and suggestions may not be welcomed, so nothing may get accomplished other than the complete behind thd scenes failure that may be be ever present. It's unlikely for a floater to come into a different territory and expect a by the books turn around, not impossible just unlikely. This doesn't speak for all management, but more often than not!

Again, at the end of the day where you are manager...

Idk, I felt like venting from all sides of the spectrum.Hope it makes light of scenarios...